For the majority of residential Solar Photovoltaic arrays will be between 1KW and 4KW.
On a commercial scale Solar PV can make an excellent return on investment.
Projects & Testimonials
March 2011 GMC Solar install a 2.4KW system in Berwick upon Tweed.
In most cases planning and building regulation applications are not required. However if they are GMC Solar recognize this and act as agent for the customer as part of the original quote. With our experienced team, the planning and building regulation application process can be very efficient.
In most cases fixing solar panels to your roof will likely fall under permitted development under planning law with now need to apply for planning permission? There are important exceptions and provisos, which must be observed. If you are a leaseholder you will need permission from your landlord, freeholder or Management Company.
All Solar installations are subject to the following conditions
- Panels on a building should be sited, so far as practical, to minimize the effect on the appearance of the building.
- The panels on a building should be sited, so far as practical, to minimize the effect on the amenity of the area.
- When no longer needed for micro generation they should be removed as soon as possible.
- If your property is a listed building installation is likely to require an application for listed building consent, even where planning permission is not needed.
- Other regulations state the panels must not protrude more than 200mm from the roof, or within 200mm of the edge of the roof.
- Wall mounted only – if your property is in a conservation area, or in a world heritage site, planning consent is required when panels are to be fitted on the principal or side elevation walls and they are visible from the highway. If panels are to be fitted to a building in your garden or grounds they should not be visible from the highway.
All these considerations are taken into account at GMC Solar survey stage.
Standalone Solar Panels
The following limits apply to standalone solar panels.
- Should be no higher than 4 metres.
- Should be at least 5 metres from boundary.
- Size of array is limited to 9m2 or 3m x 3m.
- If conservation or world heritage site, should not be visible from a highway.
- Only 1 standalone solar installation permitted.
County councils process Solar Photovoltaic installations in different ways. These need to be addressed at survey stage and fully explained along with cost implications at quote stage. GMC Solar research these maters and take the prescribed route according to the relative county council.
Northumberland County Council
Normal building regulations apply, however no application is required or fee. Building Control is notified after the installation when GMC Solar submit the electrical certificate. Find planning and building reg information at the following link: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/house
Scottish Borders Council
Normal building Control regulations apply; an application is required with the appropriate fee. This is a fast track system in place for Solar PV applications. GMC Solar act as agent for the customer as part of the install cost. A Structural Engineers certificate is required which GMC Solar as provide as part of the install cost.
The entire relative fee's involved in this process are highlighted in the GMC Solar Quote.